Thursday, May 08, 2008

Encore: "Dahil Sa Iyo"

It's been a few weeks now, and I thought I'd share this now... it meant a lot to me that day for a lot of different reasons and a lot of different people...



I heard this classic Filipino song for years growing up but never had the chance to learn it until now. (Please excuse my crazy American accent!)

I sung it as a surprise encore (you can hear the "oohs" and "ahhs"!) -- for Mom and Dad. Salamat po!

DAHIL SA IYO (Because of You)

Music by Mike Velarde
Lyrics by Dominador Santiago
Myrna Emata, piano

DAHIL SA 'YO, NAIS KONG MABUHAY
(Because of you, I want to live)
DAHIL SA 'YO, HANGGANG MAMATAY
(Because of you, until I die)
DAPAT MONG TANTUIN WALA NG IBANG GILIW
(You must know, you're my only love)
PUSO KO'Y TANUNGIN, IKAW AT IKAW RIN.
(Search my heart, it's you and only you.)

DAHIL SA 'YO, AKO'Y LUMIGAYA
(Because of you, joy came into my life)
PAGMAMAHAL AY ALAYAN KA
(Undying love I offer to you)
KUNG TUNAY MAN AKO AY ALIPININ MO
(Can this be true, I am under your spell)
ANG LAHAT SA BUHAY KO'Y DAHIL SA 'YO.
(All that I am, is because of you)

Occidental College, Bird Studio
Los Angeles, California