Thursday, July 17, 2008

Revelation

I can't take crass talk anymore!
Not in emails, IMs, on the phone, in person... nowhere.

I don't know when that happened... but it finally hit me over the head yesterday:

It's ugly, it's gross, it's rude, classless and it's impolite.

It is NOT sexy or "hawt"-- it's not romantic and it DOESN'T turn me on, baby.

Mind you, I'm not talking about regular swearing. I can swear up a blue streak and have had a mouth like a sailor since high school.

And I'm not a prude either (and I'll leave that one right there).

But you know what? I don't know you. And some things are left for private moments for special people and not to be flung around lightly.

I don't know why I didn't get that until this late in my life... but that moment's here.

It makes me feel sleazy and whore-y -- and I won't stand for that anymore, it's not funny.

So cut it out.

===

Edited to add (after loving feedback from wonderful friends):


Now the real work is not judging myself for all of this.

It's like the veil has been lifted... and I see now how horribly I've thought of myself and let myself be treated all these years!

If I had a daughter I'd never stand for how I let myself be spoken to... who let me feel this way about myself, and let me believe that this self-talk and self-image was OKAY?

Well, the point is it's not anymore.